Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 2

So.. I can't believe it's P-day!  So here is a quick summary:
Vocal Point came to sing to us last week... WOW!!! Ahhhh it was so good to hear them since we aren't allowed to listen to any music in the MTC (besides what we sing) 
My mission president's wife is actually coming to Provo because her daughter who goes to the Y is getting married next week! I don't know if I'll see her, but I thought it was cool.
For those of my friends who know I say "pause" a lot it is "pausa" in espanol :)
I feel like in the MTC all we do is eat, study, eat, teach a lesson, study, memorize some spanish, eat again, play volleyball or four-square, and then go to bed.  I really do love my district so much, we get along super well!  On sunday we said goodbye to 4 hermanas in our District who just left to Veracruz, but one of them got her foot caught in the gym door and it is still healing, so she is staying with us for the next week or so... and we just got another district of 6 hermanas yesterday!  
On Tuesday for the devotional we were able to hear from NEIL L. ANDERSEN!!! It was so good, he is amazing!!!! They also said we have some really good speakers coming up soon, so that is exciting :)  His talk was mainly on the Book of Mormon and how we need to use it in our lives!
Also, I'm only going to send this email (possibly) to those who are on missions and I know won't check my blog.. anyone else, please read my blog :) hermanahaleyzimmerman.blogspot.com 

Quick story:  
We taught our friend N.  a couple days ago (and my spanish is not very good so I try to improvise).  We were trying to explain about how the Lamanites were enemies, but we couldn't remember the word for "enemy" so instead I said "no amigas"... which is basically "no friends".  Oops, technically it works!  Our investigator started laughing really hard at my poor spanish and said hold on so she could write it in her quote book.. #ImFamous  Also, later we were trying to say 16 but once again my spanish fled my mind, so i said "kingsay (15) despues..."  basically 15 later.. oops. I'm getting there!

We didn't teach many investigators this last week, but it was still good.  Here are some pics from the week! 
 my district
 District before 4 Hermana's left to Veracruz
 Improvised Smartie holder :D
 
Hey missionary friends!  And those who I know are planning on serving missions.. This week during my personal study I came upon a chapter I really liked and wanted to share it with you. :)  If you don't have time to read it now, print it off and read it later!  All of these verses are in Mathew 10, with my thoughts next to the verse number:
5-7:  I loved this because as missionaries we are sent to the lost sheep.  Such as the story about Jesus being the Shephard with 100 lambs and one of them was lost.  So He went out and searched even for that one lamb.  Now he is sending us to find His sheep.  
14: Holy Cow.  I LOVE THIS!  missions are hard, and we will be rejected sometimes.  It's not our fault, people make their own decisions.    So we need to "shake off the dust" and move on.  Start again the next day, because every day is a new day where a miracle can happen.  Also, think about Abinidi, how many baptisms did he have?  Technically no one.. except Alma did hear him and baptized thousands.  So just do your best!
16:  We are sent out to all parts of the world, and especially now, pepole are cunning and deceiving.  They want to lead us away but we need to be smart, but also be respectful and teach with gentleness.
20: Since I have been set apart as a missionary, and at other times, I have felt like my mouth is not my own.  The lord is already putting words in my mouth and using me as a tool for His work.  We are his instruments.  Also, we are not our own as we have been set apart.  Whose name is on our nametags?  His, and we are His representatives.  
22, 39, 40:  Missions are hard, and people will hate us for what we are doing.  But we have to look at the eternal perspective.  In 22: don't quit or go home early, ENDURE TO THE END!! Heavenly Father needs us to.  

Oh and here is a super awesome quote my companion told me about!  "Do your duty, that is best.  Leave unto the Lord the rest."  How true!  We can only do so much, but we still need to do our best.  Study, look for opportunities, act in His name.  Be ready for experiences because Heavenly Father needs to use us to reach his people.  

Oh last story is from my companion that she heard.. ENJOY!  

Joshua 1:9

I FOUND MY FRIEND
 
The following event took place in a ward in Salt Lake City in 1974. It occurred during Sacrament Meeting and was told to me by a Regional Representative of the twelve, who was in the meeting.  A young man, just before leaving on his mission, stood in Sacrament Meeting and bore, in essence, the following testimony.
 
"My Brothers and Sisters, as you know, during the past few weeks I have been awaiting my mission call.  During the time I was waiting I had a dream I was in the pre-existence and was awaiting my call to come to earth.  I was filled with the same excitement and anticipation that I had before I received my mission call.  In my dream, I was talking to a friend.  He was a very dear friend, and I felt a special closeness to him, even though I've never met him in this life.  As we talked, a messenger came and gave me a letter.  I knew it was my call to go to earth. In great excitement my friend and I opened the letter I gave it to him and asked him to read it aloud.  The letter said: You have been called to earth in a special time and to a special land.  You will be born into the true church, and you will have the priesthood of God in your home.  You will be raised with many advantages and many blessings.  You will be born in a land of plenty - a land of freedom.  You will go to earth in the United States of America.  My friend and I rejoiced as we read my call.  And while we rejoiced, the messenger returned.  This time he had a letter for my friend.  We knew it was his call to earth.  My friend gave me the letter to read aloud.  The letter said: You have been called to go to earth in circumstances of poverty and strife.  You will not be raised in the true church.  Many hardships will attend your life.  Your land will be fraught with political and social difficulties which will hinder the word of the Lord.  You will be born in Costa Rica.  We wept, my friend and I as we read his call.  And my friend looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "When we are down on earth, you in your choice land and me in Costa Rica, my friend, come and find me."  Then this young missionary, with tears in his own eyes, said, "Brothers and Sisters, I have received my mission call.  I am going to Costa Rica.

Love you all!  Stay strong!  :)

color coordinating companions
 

No comments:

Post a Comment